[Distutils] The future of invoking pip

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri Nov 13 12:39:01 EST 2015

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 11:16 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> >  > If we waved our hands and were able to magically make Python package
> >> management perfect, what would that look like?
> >
> > well, I think the command would be:
> >
> > python install package_name
> >
> > I know there are good reasons to keep package installer development out
> of
> > core, but if have ensurepip-- we could do this.
>
> 1) What about 'pip uninstall', 'pip freeze', 'pip list', 'pip show',
> 'pip search', 'pip wheel'?

hmm -- half of those are "advanced" features, but yes, there are a few that
newbies want easy access to, so how about :

python pip install
python pip search

just doesn't need the  "-m" -- which is a bit of advanced python voodoo
(OK, not very advanced...)

or maybe:

python install search
python install list
python install ....

though that would make it tough to have a package called "search", etc...

what I'm getting at is that it makes plenty of sense for package management
to be seen as a feature of the python interpreter itself -- maybe slightly
more typing that "pip" (less than easy_install?) -- but no one is going to
be surprised that you use python to manage your python installation.

\2) If it requires python 3.6 it's kinda a non-starter...

well, this was a response to "magically make Python package management
perfect"

but anyway, there is always 2.7.11 :-) -- or would it even be possible to
hack a change to the command line handling with a package install? somehow
I doubt it.

and it may not be SO bad to require the -m pip for all legacy versions

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov