[Distutils] Pip is not a library was: FINAL DRAFT: Dependency specifier PEP

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue Nov 17 09:19:49 EST 2015

> On Nov 17, 2015, at 9:04 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 03:33:09 -0800
> Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> Presumably there will be a dependency parser added to the 'packaging'
>> library, which already exists as a standard place to stick stuff like this,
>> so you'll just use that. (E.g. it's what pip uses for PEP 440 version
>> parsing today.)
>>
>> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/packaging
>
> Ah... Is this a different thing than distlib? Does one depend on the
> other?
>
> (this may come to mind: https://www.jwz.org/doc/cadt.html :-))

It’s different yes. distlib took a direction that I wasn’t happy with,
it added a lot of experimental APIs that were not backed by PEPs. I
didn’t think that was appropriate for a reference implementation so I
created that library which will only contain items backed by PEPs (and
any additional items to make it possible to use that PEP in reality,
like LegacyVersion).

All of the new PEP features that pip uses are typically implemented by
packaging and then pip uses it. We also use distlib for a few things,
but I plan to remove that dependency once we have everything we need in
packaging.

Donald Stufft