[Distutils] FINAL DRAFT: Dependency specifier PEP

Nathaniel Smith njs at vorpus.org
Thu Nov 19 01:58:33 EST 2015

On Nov 18, 2015 6:37 PM, "Nick Coghlan" <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 November 2015 at 06:14, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 11:42 AM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io>
wrote:
> >> Only half way thinking about this right this moment, but I think so
yes.
> >> It’s largely designed for private use cases which is why it’s not
allowed on
> >> PyPI. It’s essentially a replacement for dependency_links.
> >

> > practically speaking, isn't it also a future replacement for
> > "<url>#egg=name" syntax in pip vcs urls?... i.e.  using  "name@<url>"
> > instead?
>
> Yep, pip's VCS URLs were one of the main motivators for that feature:
> http://pip.readthedocs.org/en/stable/reference/pip_install/#vcs-support
>
> The reason the support is defined as tool dependent is because we have
> no idea how version control is going to evolve, and different tools
> will support different version control systems (e.g. pip itself
> supports bzr, but I'd be surprised if any new tools did, and it's
> entirely possible now for tools to become popular while only
> supporting git).

Another protocol that new tools might reasonably disagree about supporting
is good ol' ftp. (Not sure if even pip supports it or not.)

Besides which, we haven't yet standardized what should be found at the end
of that URL (unless it happens to be a prebuilt wheel, but that's probably
not the most common usage).

-n