[Distutils] New Design Landed in Warehouse

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sat Nov 21 08:29:43 EST 2015

> On Nov 21, 2015, at 3:11 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 23:51:31 -0800
> Noah Kantrowitz <noah at coderanger.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Useful content starts only 2/3 down the first page. The large "pip
>>> install six" snippet probably doesn't deserve being that proeminent
>>> (or being there at all), and is ironically redundant with the "how do
>>> I install this?" link just below.
>>
>> I think you have a highly specialized view of what is "useful content" compared to the average user.
>
> "Useful content" is the page body, i.e. the project's description, as
> opposed to navigation and other layout elements.
>
> As for "highly specialized", we won't know without a user study. What
> does the average user look for on a PyPI project page? My hypothesis is
> that they mainly want to learn about the package, i.e. read its
> description (perhaps also the list of supported platforms and the
> changelog).  It makes sense to prioritize the content the user is
> looking for.

We have an issue for reducing the size of the header at https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/793.

We also have a number of users (of varying skill levels I believe) lined up to do user testing of the new design with. Nicole is handling that but I believe she is planning to start that the beginning of December. If you’re interested in participating with that contacting Nicole to see if she needs any more volunteers for it would be a good idea.

I’d also like to stress that prior to, well Yesterday really, this design had not been paired with live data at all and had just lived in a static site. So part of this all is getting it integrated with the site and seeing how it feels with it and what works and what doesn’t.

Feedback is useful, though the best form of it would be to open or comment on issues on the repository so we can track when we’ve either fixed it, or can at least acknowledge it and say that we believe the current system is better for more users. I want to stress that the design is not “finished”, it’s very much a WIP still. Consider this sort of like an alpha or something.

Donald Stufft