[Distutils] Towards a simple and standard sdist format that isn't intertwined with distutils

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Oct 5 15:51:05 CEST 2015

Because the status quo, which is a single format, sucks. I don't think changing it so we invoke a Python function instead of a script is going to make it not suck. The fundamental reason it sucks (in my mind) is that we have a single format trying to do way too many things and we need to break that out into smaller chunks.

You can see these needs are different I think by looking at how what Nathaniel wants differs from what me and Paul want. He wants something that will make the human side easier and will support different tools, we want something that pip can consume more reasonably. Trying to do too much with a singular format just means it sucks for all the uses cases instead of being great for one use case.

I also don't think it will be confusing. They'll associate the VCS thing (a source release) as something focused on development for most everyone. Most people won't explicitly make one and nobody will be uploading it to PyPI. The end goal in my mind is someone produces a source wheel and uploads that to PyPI and PyPI takes it from there.  Mucking around with manually producing binary wheels or producing source releases other than what's checked into vcs will be something that I suspect only advanced users will do.

Sent from my iPhone