[Distutils] Where should I put tests when packaging python modules?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue Oct 6 12:21:49 CEST 2015

On October 6, 2015 at 6:18:32 AM, David Cournapeau (cournape at gmail.com) wrote:
> > The significant number is not so relevant if you buy the argument
> that it is useful to downstream packagers: it may be a few users,
> but those are crucial.
>
> I also forgot to mention that the ability to test something without
> building is crucial when you want to distribute binaries.

Is it actually useful to them? None of the Linux downstreams I know of have
ever mentioned a preference for it. As far as I know, the only preference
they've ever expressed to me is that the tests are included in the sdist.

FreeBSD relies on ``python setup.py test`` as it's preferred test invocation,
so it apparently doesn't find it useful either.