[Distutils] Where should I put tests when packaging python modules?

Ionel Cristian Mărieș contact at ionelmc.ro
Tue Oct 6 12:47:51 CEST 2015

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

> self-testable programs are really ideal (e.g POST power-on self test)
> relevant recent topical discussion of e.g
> CRC and an optional '-t' preemptive CLI parameter:
> https://github.com/audreyr/cookiecutter-pypackage/pull/52

​I would be interesting ​to talk about what's worth including in a
"self-test" feature.

Most suites aren't suitable for including as whole. You don't want to
include integration (functional) tests for sure :-)

There's also the ever-unanswered question of how to deal with test
dependencies. Some will think that it's ok to always install them, but then
again, after seeing how `mock` depends on `pbr` - and how `pbr` just
decides to alter your `setup.py sdist/bdist_*` output without being asked
or invoked has made me very wary of this practice. How I have to make sure
my python installs have certain versions of `pbr` or no `pbr` at all, every
time I want to build a package :-(

Thanks,
-- Ionel Cristian Mărieș, http://blog.ionelmc.ro