[Distutils] Where should I put tests when packaging python modules?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Oct 7 00:34:14 CEST 2015

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 16:16:41 -0600
Carl Meyer <carl at oddbird.net> wrote:
> On 10/06/2015 04:04 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> [snip]
> > ...How are tests supposed to be a problem here, while they
> > usually have so few dependencies of their own?
> >
> >> If you have to bend over backwards (to install the test dependencies)
> >
> > While some packages may have non-trivial test dependencies, usual
> > practice is for test suites to require the exact same dependencies as
> > the rest of the package, + perhaps a test runner.
> >
> > Since we're talking about good practice for the average package, it's
> > not very useful to point out that 0.1% of PyPI packages may have
> > excruciatingly annoying test dependencies.
>
> I think this discussion could probably do with fewer unsupported
> assertions about what is "usual" -- it's clear that experiences in
> different parts of the community vary widely.
>
> Speaking personally and anecdotally, I maintain 15 or so projects on
> PyPI, and every single one of them has at least three or four test-only
> dependencies; not just a test runner, but also testing utilities of one
> kind or another (e.g. the mock backport for Python 2).

They're still trivial dependencies, though.  Usually small or
medium-sized pure Python packages with a rather stable API
(especially stdlib backports, of course).  I don't see how they could
cause the kind of mess the OP claimed they would.

So I'd still like to know what "bend over backwards" is supposed to
mean here.

Regards

Antoine.