[Distutils] sampleproject: use tox?

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Fri Oct 9 11:32:03 CEST 2015

Am 08.10.2015 um 23:33 schrieb Antoine Pitrou:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 22:05:16 +0200
> Thomas Güttler <guettliml at thomas-guettler.de> wrote:
>> This is a follow up to the thread "Where should I put tests when packaging python modules?"
>>
>> I have never used tox up to now. But reading the mails of the thread, it seems
>> that tox is the current state of the art.
>
> I don't see why that would be the case.  tox is certainly "the state of
> the art" in certain circles, but many projects don't mandate it at all
> or even don't use it at all and rely on other mechanisms (e.g. CI with
> a rich configuration matrix).

My question was: Any reasons not to use tox in the sample project?

I read your answer like this:

  Many projects don't mandate it at all
  or even don't use it at all and rely on other mechanisms

Yes, it is correct that many projects is a different way.

I search a simple guideline for new comers to set up
a python project including testing.

  "Since many projects don't mandate it at all ..."

I don't know if this a good argument against it.

Regards,
   Thomas Güttler

--
Thomas Guettler http://www.thomas-guettler.de/