[Distutils] Towards a simple and standard sdist format that isn't intertwined with distutils

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 20:28:28 CEST 2015

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 19:01 Carl Meyer <carl at oddbird.net> wrote:

On 10/09/2015 11:18 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 9 October 2015 at 18:04, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
>> 1) what in the world is a "source wheel"? And how is it different than an
>> sdist (other than maybe in a different file format.
>
> A "source wheel" is the proposed name for a to-be-defined replacement
> for sdists. For now, you can think of "source wheel" and "sdist" as
> the same.
>
>> 2) Is it indeed "OK" with the current PEPs and tools for different binary
>> wheels to have different dependencies? This would be the example of, for
>> instance the Matplotlib binary wheel for Windows depends on a py_zlib,
>> whereas the binary wheel for OS-X relies on the the system lib, and
therefor
>> does not have that dependency?
>>  (and has anyone worked out the linking issues so that that would all
work
>> with virtualenv and friends...)
>
> It's not *currently* OK for different binary wheels to have different
> dependencies. At least I don't think it is. It's basically not
> something that as far as I'm aware anyone has ever considered an
> option up till now, and so it's quite likely that there are
> assumptions baked into the tools that would break if different builds
> of (a given version of) a package had different dependencies.

AFAIK this is actually just fine currently, it's just not considered
ideal for a hopeful future static-metadata world.

Why would it need dynamic metadata for the windows matplotlib wheel to have
different metadata from the OSX matplotlib wheel? The platform Windows/OSX
is static and each wheel declares its own dependencies statically but
differently. Am I missing something?

--
Oscar