[Distutils] sampleproject: use tox?

Ionel Cristian Mărieș contact at ionelmc.ro
Sat Oct 10 16:55:07 CEST 2015

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> This unfortunately isn't a good idea, at least for folks aiming to
> publish their first project. While it's well-intentioned, the problem
> with it is that it can be *tremendously* demotivating for folks that
> aren't already familiar with all those additional niceties, as it hits
> newcomers over the head with how much they still have to learn.
> Testing in particular is problematic, as writing tests involves
> writing programs about programs. That means you need to already
> understand a fair bit about programs *and* about how programs fail, to
> appreciate why it may make sense to write a second program to make
> sure the first program is behaving as you expect. Folks that already
> have that knowledge aren't going to need the packaging guide to tell
> them how to do it, while folks that don't have that knowledge are
> going to be confused by a digression on testing and documentation when
> they're wanting to learn about packaging and distribution.

​This begs the conception of yet another opinionated guide for X, Y and Z
in Python. I believe we got plenty of those, and what encouraged their
creation is exactly this sort of thinking.

The problem is that none of them are really comprehensive, well maintained
or authoritative enough (we wouldn't have this discussion if there was).
They may have been "well-intentioned" but they only create confusion now ...

What if there was something official-ish that takes the packaging guide
further, for people that want more than just packaging? It seems that there
is some demand.

Thanks,
-- Ionel Cristian Mărieș, http://blog.ionelmc.ro