[Distutils] Bad setup.py dependencies on numpy, and 'pip upgrade' (was: Towards a simple and standard sdist format that isn't intertwined with distutils)

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sun Oct 11 02:28:40 CEST 2015

On October 10, 2015 at 8:22:16 PM, Nathaniel Smith (njs at pobox.com) wrote:

The bug for that is
https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/59

AFAICT from reading that thread, work on this has stalled out because
of the following reasoning:
1) Everyone agrees that pip should have 'upgrade $PKG' and
'upgrade-all' commands, and 'install -U' should be deprecated/removed.
2) But implementing 'upgrade-all' is tricky and dangerous without
first fixing pip's dependency resolver.
3) Therefore we can't add 'upgrade' or 'upgrade-all' until after we
fix pip's dependency resolver.

I feel like there's a certain logical gap between (2) and (3)... we
could defer 'upgrade-all' until later but start supporting 'upgrade
$PKG' right now, couldn't we? (It'd be implemented as the equivalent
of 'pip install $PKG=$LATEST_VERSION', which is not scary looking at
all.)

I don’t see any reason that ``pip upgrade`` can’t be implemented prior to ``pip upgrade-all`` (or ``pip upgrade —all``). It’s not adding a new thing that can cause problems without a dependency solver, it’s just moving the existing one and switching it so it’s non recursive by default.