[Distutils] What metadata does pip actually need about sdists?

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 07:12:05 CEST 2015

> it's a fact of life that the same
> source release may be configured in different ways that create
> different resulting dependencies. NumPy is one example of this, but
> it's hardly unusual

I've tried to respond to this point twice.. but let me try again. :  )
If I'm confused, please help me.

aren't the "different resulting dependencies" non-python, non-pypi system
dependencies?

the dependencies the sdist would cover are the python/pypi dependencies,
and they don't usually vary based on building extensions

as for representing non-python distro dependencies and build variances, I
mentioned before that PEP426 extensions might be used to cover that, but
that's still an open question I think..

--Marcus