[Distutils] Towards a simple and standard sdist format that isn't intertwined with distutils

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 08:23:03 CEST 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 6:37 AM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>
wrote:

> On 12 October 2015 at 17:06, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>
> wrote:
> > EWOW, huge thread.
> >
> > I've read nearly all of it but in order not to make it massively
> > worse, I'm going to reply to all the points I think need raising in
> > one mail :).
>
> And a bugfix :) - I didn't link to the docs for the build system
> interface we have today -
> https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/reference/pip_install/#build-system-interface
>

>From that link:
"""
In order for pip to install a package from source, setup.py must implement
the following commands:
The install command should implement the complete process of installing the
package to the target directory XXX.
 """
That just sounds so wrong. You want the build system to build, not install.
And if "install" actually means "build to a tempdir so pip can copy it over
it to its final location", then how does that address something like
installing docs to a different dir than the package itself?

+1 for your main point of focusing more on enabling other build systems
though.

Ralf