[Distutils] PyPi not allowing duplicate filenames

Ionel Cristian Mărieș contact at ionelmc.ro
Wed Oct 14 22:20:01 CEST 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 11:04 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> Generally within 60-120 seconds it’s available in mirrors (most of them
> resync once a minute). If anyone has downloaded it then they will have
> pretty much permanently cached the package, first in the download cache and
> then again in the wheel cache (assuming it wasn’t a wheel already, and they
> had that enabled). The original package was NumPy. It had 30,982 downloads
> in the last day, so we can average that out to 1290 downloads an hour or 21
> downloads a minute. If it takes you two minutes to notice it and delete it,
> then there are ~40 people who already have the original version cached and
> who will not notice the updated version.

​This reminds me of Gmail's "unsend" feature where email would be delayed
10 seconds or something, giving a window to press the unsend button. Maybe
something like that could be implemented? Like a minute or two in which you
could unpublish? And a --no-regrets mode of course​, for people that want
to live the moment :-)

Thanks,
-- Ionel Cristian Mărieș, http://blog.ionelmc.ro