[Distutils] PyPi not allowing duplicate filenames

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 15 00:12:32 CEST 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> > And it just seems pedantic to say: hey -- you've already put that one
> there
> > -- maybe even two minutes ago, so there is NO WAY to fix your mistake. If
> > it happens quickly, then no one has downloaded it, it hasn't made its way
> > to the mirrors, etc…
>
> Generally within 60-120 seconds it’s available in mirrors (most of them
> resync once a minute).

interesting -- it doesn't show up in the PyPi search nearly that fast :-)

If anyone has downloaded it

Honestly, I'm really not worried about people having downloaded it -- but
if it gets mirrored almost instantaneously, then there's a problem.

> The original package was NumPy. It had 30,982 downloads in the last day,

well, let's face it, most packages are not nearly as popular as numpy...

But again, if it's been mirrored, we're stuck.

> Version numbers are free, use more of them. If you can’t just issue new
> releases quickly, then test your release before you upload it (and then
> upload it with twine) and you can even upload it to Test PyPI to test
> things earlier than that.

Bingo! I'll check out Test PyPi -- maybe that's just what I"ve been looking
for.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov