[Distutils] PyPi not allowing duplicate filenames

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 15 00:38:59 CEST 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 3:26 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On October 14, 2015 at 6:24:55 PM, Chris Barker (chris.barker at noaa.gov)
> wrote:
> > > another note-- conda has teh concetp of a "build" that's tacked
> > on teh release for conda pacakges.
> >
> > So if I updated somethign about how teh packge is buitl, but am
> > using teh same underllying version of teh package, I update teh
> > build number, get a new "version" of the package, but it's clear
> > that the pacakge itself is the same version.
>
> Wheels have a build number concept which is independent of the version and
> can be used to upload a new build without creating a new release… at least
> in theory.

sounds like exactly what conda is doing (and the same context)

> I’m not sure if anyone has ever tried to actually use it though.

I expect they will -- it's pretty darn useful in conda. And it's all too
easy to build a binary wheel that works on the developer machine, but not
everywhere else... (OK, the CI systems are making that less likely..)

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov