[Distutils] PyPi not allowing duplicate filenames

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Oct 15 07:02:24 CEST 2015

Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> writes:

> That's under Apache 2, so it can't be used by GPLv2 packages, or any
> package that might be used by GPLv2 packages.

I'm not sure what the claim is here, but it seems false to me.

Apache License 2.0 permits a derived work to be released under a
different license (even a non-free license). See Apache License 2.0 §4.

So a work BAR can be released under GNU GPL (e.g. “version 3 or later”)
that derives from work FOO released under Apache License 2.0.

The GNU GPL version 3 allows combination with other works with different
license conditions, provided those conditions don't impose further
restrictions on recipients. See GNU GPL v3 §7, §10, §12. (GPL v2 has
different wording with similar effect.)

Apache License 2.0 imposes no additional reastrictions on the recipient
of a work licensed under GNU GPL v3. So that meets the conditions of both.

FOO as a distinct work retains its license conditions, and all
recipients of FOO or BAR must comply with its conditions. The work BAR
as a whole carries the GNU GPL version (for example) 3 conditions, and
all recipients of BAR must comply with its conditions.

The two licenses are compatible, as far as I can see. The effective
result is a work BAR, licensed as free software under GPL version (e.g.)
3 or later.

Does that not match your understanding? Have I misunderstood your claim?

--
 \       “Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual |
  `\       profit without individual responsibility.” —Ambrose Bierce, |