[Distutils] Time for a setuptools_lite??

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 14:02:14 EDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 6:44 PM, Wayne Werner <waynejwerner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 12:32 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Ronny Pfannschmidt <
>> opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de> wrote:
>>
>>> why does that have to be in setuptools ?!
>>>
>>> if we want a new light system to begin with, shouldn't it be far more
>>> sustainable to use just implementations of the new standards rather than
>>> leaving all of setuptools
>>>
>>> there is no viable way in setuptools to get rid of the legacy ina sane
>>> and fast manner, it would drag out over years
>>>

>> agreed. I have never met a person who had to deal substantially with
>> distutils code and enjoyed the experience.
>>
>> The whole architecture is fundamentally flawed. I wrote this a long time
>> ago, but I still stand by most arguments:
>> https://cournape.wordpress.com/2009/04/01/python-packaging-a-few-observations-cabal-for-a-solution/
>>

> I've (luckily?) never had to deal with distutils code... I am definitely
> digging the post. First time I've read it, but I am definitely more
> pro-standard-interface-and-let-tools-do-with-it-what-they-will than I was a
> few minutes ago.
>
> Would pip's freeze format work a la the cabal file, or is it missing too
> much information?

the main cabal file is its own DSL that describes the package metadata (so
more a replacement of setup.py).

I used a similar idea when I wrote bento (https://cournape.github.io/Bento/),
which ended up being a mistake. If I were to write a similar tool today, I
would just use templated yaml. A big difference compared to 6-7 years ago
is the progress made on pip, wheels, etc... A lot of the current efforts in
python package (metadata formalization, etc...) are about enabling tools
like bento, flit, etc... to coexist:  as long as they produced
wheels/(wheel)sdist/etc... that pip can consume, you have a clear separate
of concern, and an healthy competition.

David