[Distutils] free project idea

Ronny Pfannschmidt ich at ronnypfannschmidt.de
Wed Oct 21 15:00:15 EDT 2015

my suggestion would be provide a whl_setup.py that works in a fashion
similar to the current ez_setup

however instead of using easy_install + eggs, it would use pip install
--target into a folder relative to the setup.py that invoked it
if there was a mechanism to prevent pip from invoking setup.py with its
stub, that system could even be used to install  more recent setuptools
itself into the "setup site"

a setup.py would then just use whl_setup to get at setuptools, and as a
nice extra, it could hijack the install_requirements method of a
distrbution,
so pip would be used to install the requirements into the "setup site"
as well

that way we could get rid of the need for eggs to make setup_requires
nice, and could just have pip deal with all the details

in addition it could bail out on too old pip (after all it needs a
properly working install target support to provide the "setup site" with
packages, and a even newer pip version should the stub-disabling be
implemented)

-- Ronny