[Distutils] Time for a setuptools_lite??

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 16:41:35 EDT 2015

On 21 October 2015 at 20:41, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> As I understand it, the current "API" that pip knows about is:
>
> "some subset of what setuptools provides"
>
> So my proposal is here is to provide a way for users to easily use jsut that
> subset.

https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/reference/pip_install/#build-system-interface

All you need to do is write a setup.py, which can do *anything you
like*, doesn't need to be based on distutils, setuptools, or whatever
(but it needs to survive the setuptools injection pip currently does,
but that's not a big deal). As long as it provides this API, that's
fine.

The only proviso is that no-one has ever tried this in anger, so it's
largely untested so far. Feel free to put it through its paces and
provide PRs for the docs or for pip to improve it :-)

Paul