[Distutils] Time for a setuptools_lite??

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Oct 21 17:25:20 EDT 2015

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 21:41:35 +0100
Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 October 2015 at 20:41, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> > As I understand it, the current "API" that pip knows about is:
> >
> > "some subset of what setuptools provides"
> >
> > So my proposal is here is to provide a way for users to easily use jsut that
> > subset.
>
> https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/reference/pip_install/#build-system-interface
>
> All you need to do is write a setup.py, which can do *anything you
> like*,

Reading this, the CLI options which have to be implemented are
completely tied to setuptools' own view of the world.
`--single-version-externally-managed`? `--install-headers`? Why should
a random build system care about that gunk? What should it do with it?

I think Nathaniel's PEP, for all its shortcomings, looked much saner
than that piece of ad-hoc specification (a.k.a. "here's the random set
of things we're currently doing, let's make a spec out of it"). This is
like the Microsoft OOXML of Python packages distribution.

Regards

Antoine.