[Distutils] Remove distutils, was: red, green, refactor ...

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed Oct 21 19:10:27 EDT 2015

On October 21, 2015 at 7:05:59 PM, Ionel Cristian Mărieș (contact at ionelmc.ro) wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 1:50 AM, Vinay Sajip
> wrote:
>

> > I've thought about the migration path with distil, which uses a
> > declarative metadata format (superset of PEP-426 as it was a while ago)
> > where the actual metadata is extracted from setup.py files in releases
> > already on PyPI. This works well for simple distributions which don't do
> > anything fancy in setup.py, such as extending build commands to create
> > files on the fly which are then installed etc. In my early testing, distil
> > (which uses no distutils or setuptools code) could install and package
> > distributions which were pure-Python as well as package, build and install
> > ones with C extensions and even Fortran extensions. I haven't done much
> > work on it for a while due to other commitments, but when I had the time to
> > work on it, I noted precious little interest from distutils-sig (yes, I
> > know we're all volunteers, but one person can only do so much).
>

> What does distil do to achieve this? A setuptools polyfill? Just parsing
> setup.py and inspecting file layout?
>
> Is there any code for this or you're just talking about an idea? I couldn't
> find any distil project in https://bitbucket.org/vinay.sajip/
If I remember correctly distil was not OSS at all, it was distributed as a runnable zip file and if you unzipped it there wasn’t a license at all (or perhaps it was all rights reserved?). I forget the exact details but I recall unzipping it to take a look, seeing it wasn’t OSS and closing it after that.