[Distutils] Time for a setuptools_lite??

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 21 19:59:56 EDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>
wrote:

> > Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe I can just banish setuptools from
> my
> > setup.py, stick with distutils, and then make sure to use pip to actually
> > invoke anything -- so it will inject setuptools, but only use the bits we
> > need....
> >
> > I'll have to try that.....
>
> You won't gain anything from that. distutils doesn't track installed
> files either. You *must* use 'pip install .' or 'setup.py bdist_wheel'
> + 'pip install .' with the current ecosystem state,

I guess I wasn't clear -- the idea was to force myself to use pip install,
rather than ever doing a plain

setup.py install or
setup.py develop

so:
 pip install ./
or
 pip install -e ./

this way, pip will inject the parts of setuptools I really need, but
hopefully not any other cruft.

We'll see.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov