[Distutils] Time for a setuptools_lite??

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 22 12:15:36 EDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 7:27 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>
wrote:

> > I guess I wasn't clear -- the idea was to force myself to use pip
> install,
> > rather than ever doing a plain
> >
> > setup.py install or
> > setup.py develop
> >
> > so:
> >  pip install ./
> > or
> >  pip install -e ./
> >
> > this way, pip will inject the parts of setuptools I really need, but
> > hopefully not any other cruft.
>
> Its precisely the same as doing
>
> """
> import setuptools
> from distutils import setup

> setup()
>
> """
>
> Except that other people may still run setup.py directly, and then
> you'll be picking up the pieces :).

exactly! That is the point -- pip simply injects the full-on setuptools,
but it calls it in specific ways -- i.e.  --single-version-externally-managed
and all that.

But, you also wouldn't get things like setuptools find_packages and the
like -- though I"m not sure I've ever liked that...

The trick is to make it clear to your users that this particular setup.py
is not expected to work right unless run from pip....

- CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov