[Distutils] Undelying design is fundamentally difficult to extend was: Remove distutils, was: red, green, refactor ...

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Oct 22 12:24:07 EDT 2015

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 18:15:37 +0200
Thomas Güttler <guettliml at thomas-guettler.de> wrote:

> > On top of this, the goal of lots of efforts around packaging is to allow people to move away from distutils/setuptools, as the underlying design is fundamentally difficult to extend.
>
> If the underlying design is fundamentally difficult to extend, what should be done?
>
> Build tools on top of it? I guess this is not a good idea.
>
> Or start from scratch and deprecate the current underlying design in the future?

Providing official hooks would be a way to provide extension facilities.
Of course this assumes someone would actually maintain distutils, and
"the community" would stop making a ruckus everytime an extremely minor
behaviour change is considered (otherwise you get what happened to
distutils2).

Regards

Antoine.