[Distutils] Is this a bug?

Nagy László Zsolt gandalf at shopzeus.com
Mon Oct 26 02:10:10 EDT 2015

> I can't confirm or deny that with the data given:)
>
> Have a look in your .pypirc file - don't share it, it has your
> password in it - but see if it looks sane. If you can't tell, mask out
> your username and password and share the content. If you do that,
> please be sure to note exactly how the % in your password was encoded
> in the file.

My .pypirc is very simple:

[distutils]
index-servers =
    pypi

[pypi]
repository = https://pypi.python.org/pypi
username:nagylzs
password:******************

The password of course is different, and it has a *single* percent sign
in it. I had no .pypirc file at all. Here are the steps I have taken:

1. register online at pypi.python.org
2. create setup file for my package
3. run "setup.py register"  (python version 3.5)

The registration was successful, and setup.py asked me if I want to save
the password into the pypirc file. I said "YES" and the .pypirc file was
created. Then I wanted to do "setup.py sdist upload" and I got the
aforementioned traceback. Then I have deleted the "password:" line from
the pypirc file and the upload succeeded (but of course, I had to retype
the password.)

Finally - as a workaround - I have changed my password so it does not
contain % sign.