[Distutils] build system abstraction PEP

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 04:54:33 EDT 2015

On 28 October 2015 at 06:34, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
>> 1)  *Please*, *please*, *please* let's start doing PEP conversations as PRs
>> to pypa/interoperability-peps :  )  There's a place in there for unnumbered
>> PEPs.  Review will be better and faster IMO as PRs.  If the PR gets too
>> cluttered with old conversations, just start clean with a new PR.   We can
>> announce the PRs here, but don't discuss them on the mailing list.   The
>> same goes for trimming down PEP426 as you mention.   Let's do that as a PR
>> to pypa/interoperability-peps to the existing document.
>
> https://github.com/pypa/interoperability-peps/pull/54

I'm concerned that if the discussion all ends up on the PR, then
people (like me) who follow the mailing list but aren't watching the
PR discussion[1] will miss important chunks of the debate. I guess I
could subscribe to the PR discussion, but the typical lack of quoting
in PR conversations makes it much harder to follow threads there.

I'm happy to see the reference versions and change history of PEPs in
the repository, but can we not keep discussions of the principles on
the public list? Otherwise, we'll have a first run of the discussion
on github, then a rerun when it finally gets posted to
distutils-sig...

Paul

[1] I'm not sure why, as part of the PyPA group on github, I don't
receive notifications when PRs like this one are added. Do I need to
subscribe to something that I haven't?