[Distutils] Please don't impose additional barriers to participation

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 14:42:01 EDT 2015

On 28 October 2015 at 18:33, Ian Cordasco <graffatcolmingov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also nothing precludes mailing list discussions, so without details
> about your objections, I don't see why this should be held up.

One immediate question - not at all FUD, nor intended as provocative,
it's a genuine question.

I thought right now I'd check if there had actually been any
discussion on the PR that I'd missed [1]. But I don't have a link to
the specific tracker issue, and offhand I can't recall the repo name.
So how do I find the issue quickly?

For discussions here, I can scan the list of message subjects in the
distutils-sig folder in my email. Quickly checking on a tracker PR is
harder, and so I'm *much* less likely to contribute. Result - when the
PEP is posted back to the list once it's been thrashed out on the
tracker, there's a *second* round of time-consuming debate as people
who missed the first round join in with issues that have possibly
already been discussed.

I assume there's no intention of PEPs being discussed and approved,
*all* without debate on distutils-sig?

Paul

[1] If I'm supposed to be getting notifications for comments on the PR
(as a member of the PyPA group, shouldn't I be?) then it's not
happening... I know I can subscribe to the PR, but I'm not clear why I
should need to - I don't for pip issues, for instance...