[Distutils] Please don't impose additional barriers to participation

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Oct 28 14:42:38 EDT 2015

On 28.10.2015 19:33, Ian Cordasco wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 3:31 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

>>> Please keep the conversation on a mailing list where one can participate
>>> without needing to sign up with any particular service provider.
>>>
>>> Your proposal would have the effect of excluding people from the
>>> conversation if they don't agree to have a GitHub account. I think it's
>>> valuable to avoid that barrier to entry, needing only an email account.
>>
>> I agree with Ben. Discussions on PEPs need to happen on mailing lists,
>> not hidden away on some issue tracker or PR ticket.
>
> Others may be willing to tolerate your FUD, but without concrete
> reasons against GitHub (other than zomg it's a proprietary service) I
> don't see a reason to not use the pull request flow on an open
> repository that is free for people to clone, fork, contribute to, etc.
>
> GitHub isn't my preferred hosting platform for git but it is the
> defacto standard and it's workflow ubiquitous, documented, and far
> more user-friendly than mailing list threads (especially when they
> devolve into ideology wars).
>
> Also nothing precludes mailing list discussions, so without details
> about your objections, I don't see why this should be held up.

Ok, as first step, please change your tone and reread my
reply. I'm not willing to tolerate your tone. Thanks.

The argument here is not about Github or not, and it's not FUD.
It's the same argument as is used when starting into discussions
on the Python issue tracker and the reason for often moving those to
the python-dev or -ideas mailing lists.

Hiding away discussions is not the way to go about when discussing
PEPs. Using PRs is fine when it comes to improving the language
of the PEP or adding new aspects, but the reasoning for applying
these changes should be based on the results of discussions on
the relevant lists, distutils-sig in this case.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Oct 28 2015)
2015-10-23: Released mxODBC Connect 2.1.5 ...     http://egenix.com/go85

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/