[Distutils] A smaller step towards de-specializing setuptools/distutils

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Oct 29 15:02:47 EDT 2015

On October 29, 2015 at 2:54:19 PM, Daniel Holth (dholth at gmail.com) wrote:
> I think that would be very handy, especially making setuptools not a
> special case. You could get it down to 3 lines in setup.cfg, a file that
> already exists and already gathers random settings.
>
> <snip>

I don’t think we should try to use an entry point (at least not yet). One of the key points is to minimize the conceptual churn and to move forward slowly while still progressing. I don’t think that using a class really buys us much because anyone who is capable of writing that class is also capable of writing a small CLI interface to be used within a setup.py. It feels more like churn for churn’s sake than anything else and some sort of idealogical purity over pragmatism.

I also don’t want to base any standard on setuptools entry points because they are not a standard (and if we did, the key should not mention pip at all, pip shouldn’t be special cased any more than setuptools should).