[Distutils] Please don't impose additional barriers to participation (was: build system abstraction PEP)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Oct 31 21:08:32 EDT 2015

On Oct 29, 2015, at 10:52 PM, Marcus Smith wrote:

>> If python-dev ends up adopting GitLab for the main PEPs repo, then we
>> should be able to move the whole process there, rather than needing to
>> maintain a separate copy.
>>
>will that be as open as pypa/interoperability-peps?  if it's closed off such
>that only python devs can log PRs against PEPs once they're in the system,
>then that's no fun.  If so, I'd still want to keep pypa/interoperability-peps
>as the front end tool for the actual change management.

The way I believe it would work via GitLab is that anybody can fork the repo,
push branches to their fork, and file PRs against the PEPs repo.  Pushing to
the PEPs repo would be gated via privileged members of the repo's owner,
either via git push or button push (i.e. "hey website, I'm chillin' on the
beach with my tablet so do the merge for me!")

Cheers,
-Barry