[Distutils] Reviving PEP 470 - Removing External Hosting support on PyPI

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Sat Sep 5 00:59:46 CEST 2015

On 9/1/15 12:15 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 1 September 2015 at 05:53, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> The top packages look a bit different than it did 10 months ago, surprisingly
>> to me PIL has severely dropped off from where it had ~63k 10 months ago and it
>> now has 5.5k, however pygame has risen from 2.6k 10 months ago to ~32k.
>
> I can provide plausible explanations for both of those:
>
> * Pillow adoption progressively displacing PIL usage

Wow that's amazing, thanks for those numbers Donald \o/.

To correlate (apropos of nothing) it looks like Pillow's PyPI numbers
are slightly up over the past year (Pillow is released quarterly):

$ vanity -q pillow==2.7.0
Pillow 2.7.0 has been downloaded 934,119 times!

$ vanity -q pillow=={2.8.0,2.8.1,2.8.2}
Pillow 2.8.0 has been downloaded 41,433 times!
Pillow 2.8.1 has been downloaded 788,788 times!
Pillow 2.8.2 has been downloaded 500,565 times!
Pillow, Pillow and Pillow have been downloaded 1,330,786 times!

$ vanity -q pillow==2.9.0
Pillow 2.9.0 has been downloaded 1,083,447 times!