[Distutils] "Specs" vs "Proposals"

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 00:29:51 CEST 2015

> > well, if you look up in the thread, a few of us are saying it's not.  It
> doesn't distinguish Current Specs vs Proposals very well.

How would you add that metadata to the version string (according to PEP

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 1:13 PM, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:

> pulling this idea out of the "Linux wheel support" thread, since it
> deserves it's own thread...
>
> the idea being that we should better distinguish:
> 1) the current packaging "Specs" (for metadata, versions, etc...)
> vs
> 2) Proposals to change them
>
> currently, we just have PEPs that serve both roles.
>
> so the idea would be to:
> 1) house current specs at packaging.python.org... basically a document
> tree that's organized by topic, not numbers and it's free of proposal
> rationales, historical discussion, and transition plans etc...

*
https://packaging.python.org/en/latest/glossary.html#term-version-specifier
-> pypa.io/en/latest/peps
* https://www.pypa.io/en/latest/peps
* https://github.com/pypa/pypa.io/blob/master/source/peps.rst

> 2) keep using the PEP process for adjusting or adding to the specs
>
> and assuming that approach, I raised a few "publishing" questions:
> 1) do we publish/render all supported versions of a certain spec, or just
> the latest
> 2) if we publish them all, then how?  do we maintain separate documents
> for distinct versions? if not, how do we do it?

Tagged [semver 3.0 (+1)] versions can be managed *individually* with
readthedocs.

One old-school way to do this would be to e.g. write a conf.py and a sphinx
adapter for PEPs: https://github.com/python/peps

And copy/paste with version strings at the end of filenames