[Distutils] For maximum performance, Python packages are best installed as zip files.

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Mon Apr 11 07:53:11 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 01:04:55PM +0200, Thomas Güttler wrote:
> From https://pythonhosted.org/setuptools/setuptools.html#setting-the-zip-safe-flag
>
> > For maximum performance, Python packages are best installed as zip files.
>
> What kind of performance improvement is this?
>
> Is this improvement really measurable?
>
> What improvement numbers do you get?

A long time ago I saw a thread (maybe on this very list) with concrete
numbers.  I only remember the conclusion:

  - everything in one zip file (including the Python stdlib) was fastest
  - everything unzipped was 2nd fastest
  - multiple zipped eggs were slowest

This was probably done in the times of rotational hard disks.  It would
be interesting to see someone repeat that experiment.

Marius Gedminas
--
I've never understood the pathological fear some companies seem to have about
the idea of their advertisements being seen by too many people.