[Distutils] For maximum performance, Python packages are best installed as zip files.

Ionel Cristian Mărieș contact at ionelmc.ro
Mon Apr 11 08:46:16 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:

> - multiple zipped eggs were slowest

​Afaik importing became slower and slower as you had more more eggs around.
Haven't investigated what actually was the cause as I don't use eggs
anymore but the idea that zips are good for performance is wrong - you need
to look at a lot of zips (and unpack) to see what's importable. The zip
importing caches worse than stating lots of directories, since it needs to
cache file content while unzipped only needs metadata - correct me if I'm
wrong.