[Distutils] The mypy package

Richard Jones richard at python.org
Fri Apr 15 20:10:33 EDT 2016

Hi Guido,

Because this sort of thing has come up a lot in the past, and because I've
copped trouble for mishandling it in the past, I took the trouble of
writing up a formal description of how I handle these sorts of issues:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1elum7ENjQb0dLB4ATfYNtnXYVLUzsKacc0VWnHHJb2A/edit?usp=sharing

I believe Donald follows the same, or a very similar procedure.

In short, all that can be done has been done, from my perspective. Someone
has published their module, and regardless of any opinion of it, or desire
to also use that name, I have to respect that they published first. In the
absence of explicit consent from them to do anything, my hands are tied.
I've taken unilateral action in the past to my personal detriment.

Of course, once I'm no longer a PyPI admin (I look forward to the day so
very much) someone else will have to make these decisions.

     Richard