[Distutils] The mypy package

Alexander Walters tritium-list at sdamon.com
Sat Apr 16 20:26:50 EDT 2016

On 4/16/2016 14:52, Paul Moore wrote:
>> We
>> >cant unilaterally hand over names on pypi to unrelated.. or even related..
>> >projects because they have a name someone else wants.
> What I*meant*  to say here was that when a request for a name transfer
> gets no reply, it's helpful to know if the email address is no longer
> responding at all. Nothing more than that. That might help anyone
> making a decision to decide what to do.
>
> But no, I agree absolutely we can't just hand over names.
>
> Paul
If what you intend is to just flag the index entries where the owner has
a bouncing email as "Heads up, the owner's email doesn't work anymore",
then I don't have any problems with that.

Though I do wonder how effective that would be in this case.  For all we
know, in the case of mypy, the maintainer is simply ignoring someone
else who is trying to take the name they registered.  (I get emails all
the time for people trying to get me to sign over my domain names; even
though I am not doing much with them, they are my names and my identity,
so that is one possible reason.)