[Distutils] The mypy package

David Wilson dw+distutils-sig at hmmz.org
Mon Apr 18 11:48:20 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 08:18:37AM -0700, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal wrote:

> We really should have SOME way to determine if a PyPi name has been
> abandoned. Or even be proactive--PyPi names must be maintained in SOME
> way, perhaps:

+1

> Respond to some sort of "do you still want this" email. At least once a year.

+0.. this is along the right track but still seems too invasive for what
is mostly an edge case.

I'm interested in this conversation as I have two package names
registered on PyPy for unreleased projects, one with months of work
spanning years put into it (but not yet fit for release) and another
with actual years put into it.

I'd be disappointed to lack the ability to prevent either name being
annexed for someone's weekend project, although life would continue just
fine if this were to occur. :)

> Details aside, as PyPi continues to grow, we really need a way to
> clear out the abandoned stuff -- the barrier to entry for creating a
> new name on PyPi is just too low.

Namespaces seem like a great idea, then these problems disappear
entirely, e.g. have the server consult a one-time-generated list of
aliases should a package name be requested that is not prefixed with an
alias, and insist any new registrations include one.

David