[Distutils] Name arbitration on PyPI (was: The mypy package)

Ian Cordasco graffatcolmingov at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 17:31:49 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 4:16 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> You've made a strong case, and this is probably not where PyPi should go --
> but it would hardly be a disaster:
>

>> The idea of expiring out names has been brought up recently to resolve an
>> issue of two packages, one popular and large; another someone's weekend
>> project.
>

> The issue here is not that it's a weekend project, but that it may be an
> abandoned project. I don't think anyone suggest that we should have a
> popularity or quality test to see who gets to trump whom with name
> allocation -- I sure didn't.
>
> Which is quite relevant to below:
>

>> 1.  PyYAML is a package that would be de-registered in such a scheme.  It
>> is a highly used, extremely popular, package that unserializes text into
>> arbitrary python objects.  It is a trusted package... and one that hasn't
>> been active in ages.
>

> and you don't think ANYONE would be willing to take on the miniscule amount
> of work to maintain the name? Plus there would be any number of other
> schemes for determining whether a project name is abandoned.

I have in fact offered but the author refuses to accept help from
anyone. They're also the author of the C library (libyaml) and they do
not maintain that either. It's actually quite frustrating as someone
who wants to fix some of the numerous bugs in the library + improve it
and add support for YAML 1.2 which is years old at this point.