[Distutils] The mypy package

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 10:59:11 EDT 2016

On 19 April 2016 at 01:21, Jim Fulton <jim at jimfulton.info> wrote:

> I suggest measuring activity by downloads, not releases. Sometimes
> maintained packages are boring enough not to need releases, while many
> projects depend on them.

Standard library backport packages are fairly prone to this - contextlib2
went without a release for ~4 years, for example, since it was only in 3.5
that we made sufficient changes to the standard library version that it
seemed worthwhile for me to update the backport (the previous release of
contextlib2 was from just prior to Python 3.3).

However, as others have noted, we don't really have the resources to
administer a PyPI name dispute resolution system - when there are legal
issues, the PyPI admins can escalate matters to the PSF Board (but those
are fortunately rare), and for other cases, establishing contact with the
current owners is the most practical course of action currently available.

Cheers,
Nick.