[Distutils] Name arbitration on PyPI - how about administrative abandonment/replacement meta-data

Ronny Pfannschmidt opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de
Wed Apr 20 16:36:22 EDT 2016

Am 20.04.2016 um 00:38 schrieb Chris Barker:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Ronny Pfannschmidt
> <opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de
> <mailto:opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de>> wrote:
>
>     Instead of overtaking,
>     how about clearly marking packages as abandoned/maintained clearly
>     pointing out the mark was imposed by community action
>

> I think that would be a good idea -- and maybe start with just that --
> then we'd learn how big an issue it really was, etc.
>

>      and listing potential/primary replacements
>

> that required real work on someone's part -- so not sure when that
> would actually happen.
>

>     its important that community imposed abandonment is not simply
>     removable
>     by doing a minor "noop"-release,
>

> why not? I brought tis all up to address truly abandoned projects --
> maybe we want to go some day to the idea of the names being community
> owned, but that's not the way ti is now -- and if someone makes the
> effort to do a noop release, then they have no abandoned the name --
> maybe aren't maintaining it worth a damn, but there you go.

a community action is supposed to be imposed after extended non-reaction,
an next to no effort way to get out of it seems counter such an invsive
move.

its not given lightly, and it shouldn't be easy to weasel out of it.
Actually a noop release is a good indicator that the mark is
well-deserved and should be keept.
Making an effort to remove a mark without making the reason for its
existence go as well is a lie in plain sight.

this reminds me of the whole setuptools/distribute situation.

-- Ronny