[Distutils] Deprecating little used file types/extensions on PyPI?

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Mon Aug 15 15:27:17 EDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016, at 08:09 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:
> Finally, bdist_egg is quite possibly the trickiest one to justify. A fair
> number of people still upload eggs, even though we have the wheel format.
> However, I think that we should (and generally do) consider eggs to be
> deprecated and while we don't want to break existing packages by removing
> them,
> we should block further uploads for them. Looking again at the download
> numbers
> eggs represented only 1.8% of total downloads in the last 30 days while
> wheels
> represented 41% and sdists represented 56%.

Is it possible to get the numbers for the proportion of uploads
represented by different formats?

I think this simplification is a good idea, but I expect there will be
some people frustrated when their egg uploads no longer work.

We still upload .zip sdists for some of our projects, in addition to
.tar.gz, but I think that's a habit left over from the days when it was
common to download and unpack sdists manually to run setup.py. I don't
think we lose anything if we drop the .zip downloads now.