[Distutils] Deprecating little used file types/extensions on PyPI?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Aug 15 15:28:24 EDT 2016

> On Aug 15, 2016, at 3:22 PM, Ian Cordasco <graffatcolmingov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My only thought is how we convey this message to users. I wonder if it
> would be beneficial to have Twine cut a release that warns users when
> they are uploading something that will be unsupported, then have
> Warehouse/PyPI start returning a 415 (Unsupported media type)
> approximately a few weeks/month later.

I wouldn’t be opposed to something like this, though I’m not entirely sure
it’s going to be super useful. I’m not sure if a 415 is the correct response
code since these are being sent as binary blobs as far as HTTP is concerned,
but the Content-Type of the HTTP request will still be correct, but just the
data inside it will be wrong, so I think that’s solidly a 400 error? Not that
it’s super important, that’s an implementation detail :)

> I'm +1 for restricting the kinds of things people can upload though.

—
Donald Stufft