[Distutils] Future of setuptools and buildout

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 22:10:48 EDT 2016

On 18 August 2016 at 11:45, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> One "lite" version of setuptools that I personally think would be cool would
> be pkg_resources as a separate package on pypi. Setuptools would require it
> as a dependency.

I finally managed to relocate a discussion Jason, Donald and I had
about this a couple of months ago:
https://github.com/ncoghlan/pkg_resources_shim/issues/1

(The idea there was to make "pip install pkg_resources" just work by
implicitly installing setuptools - at the moment running that command
errors out, since Donald reserved the name on PyPI to prevent anyone
using it as an attack vector against folks actually looking for
setuptools)

Creating a standalone "pkg_resources" project turns out to be
relatively straightforward, but *removing* pkg_resources from
setuptools turns out to create significant setuptools bootstrapping
problems. That means the standalone project would need to use a
different name, and any associated bugs would subsequently need to be
fixed in two different projects, which seems like a bad idea.

Cheers,
Nick.