[Distutils] Deprecating little used file types/extensions on PyPI?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 10:34:25 EDT 2016

On 19 August 2016 at 15:27, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> This is an important consideration that nobody mentioned thus far— I have
> not used Windows to release a project to PyPI.. ever. So We should
> absolutely start by switching that to defaulting to .tar.gz.

I had forgotten this fact, but yes, zip is the standard for sdists on Windows.

I would suggest that we need to allow both .zip and .tar.gz for
sdists. Specifically, how would we handle people building sdists for
upload using Python 2.7 on Windows? Would we backport this change?

(It doesn't matter whether we say ".tar.gz is the standard, what do we
do about Windows users?" or ".zip is the standard, what do we do about
Unix users?" the problems are the same).

Paul