[Distutils] What role to eggs still play?

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 19 12:53:53 EDT 2016

Hi all,

starting a new thread, but this is related to the setuptols-_lite
discussion, and the legacy formats discussion. In another thread Donald had
a footnote:

[1] We can tackle egg at a later point, when setuptools either has support
> for Wheels
>     or is less needed.

So I'm wondering -- does anything else (other than setuptools) depend on
eggs in any way? I know why I pip install stuff, I (always?) get egg-ish
things installed:

.egg-info

directories and all that. Honestly, I'm confused -- is that making an
actual egg? or is that name simply a legacy name for package meta data?

In any case, does pip, or anything else, require it?

For my part, I find it annoying, name aside -- it seems that all the
package meta-data should be there in the package source already
(pypacakge.toml?)

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov