[Distutils] What role to eggs still play?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Fri Aug 19 13:20:34 EDT 2016

> On Aug 19, 2016, at 12:53 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> starting a new thread, but this is related to the setuptols-_lite discussion, and the legacy formats discussion. In another thread Donald had a footnote:
>

> [1] We can tackle egg at a later point, when setuptools either has support for Wheels
>     or is less needed.
>
> So I'm wondering -- does anything else (other than setuptools) depend on eggs in any way? I know why I pip install stuff, I (always?) get egg-ish things installed:
>
> .egg-info
>
> directories and all that. Honestly, I'm confused -- is that making an actual egg? or is that name simply a legacy name for package meta data?
>
> In any case, does pip, or anything else, require it?
>
> For my part, I find it annoying, name aside -- it seems that all the package meta-data should be there in the package source already (pypacakge.toml?)

Part of the problems with “egg” is that the word “egg” ends up being used for slightly similar, but somewhat different things. The .egg-info is the installation metadata (and the newer format uses .dist-info instead of .egg-info). That particular footnote was speaking about .egg files themselves, uploaded to PyPI.

—
Donald Stufft