[Distutils] What role to eggs still play?

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 13:39:22 EDT 2016

About the toml file... the *-info metadata is a compiled artifact,
according to all the existing Python packages. Most sdists even have a
*.egg-info directory. It is inconvenient if you want to know the true
dependencies without running setup.py. I think we are stuck with it, and
it's not all bad - if there is some useful metadata that doesn't affect the
dependency resolver, and it is "too static" or too cumbersome to write out
by hand, there's a place to do that.