[Distutils] Why I like eggs (or similar mechanisms) and my thoughts on future of buildout

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Sun Aug 21 12:38:34 EDT 2016

On Sun, Aug 21, 2016, at 05:19 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:
> I'm open to shelling out, but pessimistic that it will turn out well.
> I started with that approach initially with easy_install and it fell
> apart quickly.  But when we get into it... who knows?

I think shelling out is a reasonable approach for certain operations
if the tool you're shelling out to is designed for it. When we write
command-line programs, we often think about users typing in commands
at a terminal, and design things that are flexible and somewhat
smart. If shelling out is to be an API, the commands need to be
predictable and dumb.